Wednesday 24 February 2010

partly cloudy....partly unsure

I still dont see why the showed this in some cinemas and not others. The pixar shorts have always gone hand in hand with their feature films, yet this seemed to have a strange level of mystery around it.

The concept already put me off...the creation of the world thing/where do babies come from ideology seems....somewhat not Pixars style in all honesty...lacking that certain ooo i dont know what. I didnt want it to deter me, as someone whose faced initial criticism of an idea that has often struck people as odd or off-putting...but...when I finally saw it a few days ago I was left disappointed. I cant quite explain it though, the clouds themselves (an obvious technical test for Up) were wonderfully created with a lot of depth, giving a soft fluffy quality to the characters. The lightning was great. The stork that always gets hurt by the more non cuter animals of nature fine....yet it was missing something, something to give it that spark which annoyed me incredibly. It just didnt make me react, i didnt laugh or squerm at the storks pain NOTHING! Is that the answer for unappealing characters? Like i say, I remain uncertain.

My favourite Pixar short still has to be Presto. Maybe its the characters that have more appeal...presto already has this great role reversal between master and servant, that twist of control...maybe its just a funnier concept whereas Partly Cloudy tries to be more subtle in its humour...all i can say is I prefer Pixar making shorts that punch me in the face with humour with superb exaggeration in animation, which is what Partly Cloudy doesnt do for me...sorry

Firstly...heres partly cloudy:

"Partly Cloudy" by Pixar from Jeni Starick on Vimeo.

Presto...the benchmark (for me) of their shorts...

No comments:

Post a Comment